Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Chris_Brightwell's Avatar Chris_Brightwell
07-26-2005, 11:11 PM

Don't clutter this thread.

Use it to post legitimate news concerning the upcoming release(s).
Old 07-26-2005, 11:11 PM   #1
meh.

Bincount™: 1074
What We Know

Don't clutter this thread.

Use it to post legitimate news concerning the upcoming release(s).
clone's Avatar clone
08-29-2005, 08:27 AM

Ok. This place has been a little messed up with all the roumors floating around regarding the new CD and/or DVD, so to try to clear things up here's a chronology of all the official information we've had to date:

2002/11/24 - Last show of the Lateralus tour. The last six have been taped for a DVD release (Source: tdn).
2002/11/28 - The band has started working on new material, even managing to work out the arrangement on at least one song (Source: toolband).
2004/2/5 - While on tour with A Perfect Circle, Maynard says on an interview with Kerrang Magazine that they're working on a new Tool record (Source: tdn).
2004/4/7 - Danny says that he's been jamming for months with Adam and Justin and there's already a framework for 10 to 12 new songs, though they don't want to solidify anything too much until Maynard gets involved. He described the material as heavier and less intricate than Lateralus. He also says that he hopes the new album to be released on early 2005, and the DVD, which "won't be just another band-playing-live video", on summer 2004 (Source: mtv).
2004/12/14 - Blair describes a writing/arranging session (now with Maynard) and two new songs. One is a 15-18 minutes long song codenamed L. K. it "pretty much summed things up about the direction the new record was headed musically ... with its combination of odd time signatures, dynamics and intricacy of guitar work ... the acoustic drums were combined with lots of electronic samples of dissonant clocks, warped timpani, eruptions of noise and explosions of what sounded like bizarre artillery ... Adam seemed to be using the pedals more often ... Justin, with his lightning fast bass lines, at times there were riffs that seemed almost unnatural for that instrument ... it was the most impressive piece I’ve heard them do." Anyway, they said it wasn't finished yet, and it still had no vocals. The other song still has no title, it's a rhythmically complex 10 minutes long song and Danny had earlier described it as being his favorite Tool composition to date (Source: toolband).
2005/1/13 - On January 6th, Tool has resumed after the holydays the writing/arranging for the next record. Adam has a new minimoog, and Maynard have been experimenting with some electronic vocal effects on Danny’s Sennheiser VSM-201 (Source: toolband).
2005/2 - Acording to Blair, "the recording sessions are going very well, although it's still too early in the process for there to be a specific release date. Ditto with the live DVD, which isn't finished being edited yet, and which probably won't be released until after the new CD, perhaps in tandem with some other goodies that have been in the works for a while" (Source: toolband).
2005/2/14 - Blair mentions that Tool have finished another song, and that they have a self-imposed deadline for finishing material for the new record (Source: toolband).
2005/6/3 - Blair mentions that the band was yesterday "assembling/recording a rather monstrous piece of music" (Source: toolband).
2005/7/7 - Blair afirms that any details about to the recording process as well as any projected time-tables, will be posted on the band’s official website, which "could be tomorrow, or two days from now, or in a couple of weeks or even a month from now" (Source: toolband).
2005/7/11 - Lateralus vinyl is anounced for release on August 23rd (Source: tdn).
2005/7/17 - The band is in the recording process working with a guy named Joe (Source: toolband).
2005/7/21 - Danny Carey will play with Pigmy Love Circus on August 6th, and "he’ll probably be coming directly from the studio with just a pair of sticks, and playing someone else’s drums" (Source: toolband).
2005/8/14 - Adam has been posting photos from the recording process on My Space. The photos confirm the presence of producer/engineer Joe Barresi (Melvins, Queens of the Stone Age, Tomahawk, etc.) (Source: Adam’s My Space).
2005/8/26 - More photos can be found on august newsletter (Source: toolband).

So, that is until now. I probably forgot some things, so please post them, but let's try to keep this thread off of un-oficially-founded rumors

Last edited by clone; 08-29-2005 at 08:56 AM..
Old 08-29-2005, 08:27 AM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 1412
Re: What We Know

Ok. This place has been a little messed up with all the roumors floating around regarding the new CD and/or DVD, so to try to clear things up here's a chronology of all the official information we've had to date:

2002/11/24 - Last show of the Lateralus tour. The last six have been taped for a DVD release (Source: tdn).
2002/11/28 - The band has started working on new material, even managing to work out the arrangement on at least one song (Source: toolband).
2004/2/5 - While on tour with A Perfect Circle, Maynard says on an interview with Kerrang Magazine that they're working on a new Tool record (Source: tdn).
2004/4/7 - Danny says that he's been jamming for months with Adam and Justin and there's already a framework for 10 to 12 new songs, though they don't want to solidify anything too much until Maynard gets involved. He described the material as heavier and less intricate than Lateralus. He also says that he hopes the new album to be released on early 2005, and the DVD, which "won't be just another band-playing-live video", on summer 2004 (Source: mtv).
2004/12/14 - Blair describes a writing/arranging session (now with Maynard) and two new songs. One is a 15-18 minutes long song codenamed L. K. it "pretty much summed things up about the direction the new record was headed musically ... with its combination of odd time signatures, dynamics and intricacy of guitar work ... the acoustic drums were combined with lots of electronic samples of dissonant clocks, warped timpani, eruptions of noise and explosions of what sounded like bizarre artillery ... Adam seemed to be using the pedals more often ... Justin, with his lightning fast bass lines, at times there were riffs that seemed almost unnatural for that instrument ... it was the most impressive piece I’ve heard them do." Anyway, they said it wasn't finished yet, and it still had no vocals. The other song still has no title, it's a rhythmically complex 10 minutes long song and Danny had earlier described it as being his favorite Tool composition to date (Source: toolband).
2005/1/13 - On January 6th, Tool has resumed after the holydays the writing/arranging for the next record. Adam has a new minimoog, and Maynard have been experimenting with some electronic vocal effects on Danny’s Sennheiser VSM-201 (Source: toolband).
2005/2 - Acording to Blair, "the recording sessions are going very well, although it's still too early in the process for there to be a specific release date. Ditto with the live DVD, which isn't finished being edited yet, and which probably won't be released until after the new CD, perhaps in tandem with some other goodies that have been in the works for a while" (Source: toolband).
2005/2/14 - Blair mentions that Tool have finished another song, and that they have a self-imposed deadline for finishing material for the new record (Source: toolband).
2005/6/3 - Blair mentions that the band was yesterday "assembling/recording a rather monstrous piece of music" (Source: toolband).
2005/7/7 - Blair afirms that any details about to the recording process as well as any projected time-tables, will be posted on the band’s official website, which "could be tomorrow, or two days from now, or in a couple of weeks or even a month from now" (Source: toolband).
2005/7/11 - Lateralus vinyl is anounced for release on August 23rd (Source: tdn).
2005/7/17 - The band is in the recording process working with a guy named Joe (Source: toolband).
2005/7/21 - Danny Carey will play with Pigmy Love Circus on August 6th, and "he’ll probably be coming directly from the studio with just a pair of sticks, and playing someone else’s drums" (Source: toolband).
2005/8/14 - Adam has been posting photos from the recording process on My Space. The photos confirm the presence of producer/engineer Joe Barresi (Melvins, Queens of the Stone Age, Tomahawk, etc.) (Source: Adam’s My Space).
2005/8/26 - More photos can be found on august newsletter (Source: toolband).

So, that is until now. I probably forgot some things, so please post them, but let's try to keep this thread off of un-oficially-founded rumors

Last edited by clone; 08-29-2005 at 08:56 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
clone's Avatar clone
08-29-2005, 08:56 AM

thanks, chris
Old 08-29-2005, 08:56 AM   #3
Level 8 - Vociferous

thanks, chris
08-31-2005, 09:55 AM

Wow. We don't know much.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:55 AM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Wow. We don't know much.
dark_Speedo's Avatar dark_Speedo
09-01-2005, 08:16 AM

Does anyone know the myspace site that adam posts the pictures on?
Old 09-01-2005, 08:16 AM   #5
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 4287

clone's Avatar clone
09-01-2005, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorillasnot
there's a link on the main post of this thread
Old 09-01-2005, 09:03 AM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
there's a link on the main post of this thread
09-07-2005, 08:05 AM

Damn! Read, people !
Old 09-07-2005, 08:05 AM   #7
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 34

Damn! Read, people !
09-07-2005, 09:35 AM

I'd like to add some info that I picked up from an interview with Danny Carey a few months ago, from cacavolante.org, if my memory doesn't betray me.
He stated that the wrtiting process of the new album had been influenced heavily by Fantômas and swedish band Meshuggah.
One can only hope for the complex brutality combined with the sensitivity of Maynard James Keenan's voice is a thread they haven't forgotten.

Last edited by varg; 09-07-2005 at 10:32 AM..
Old 09-07-2005, 09:35 AM   #8
On Probation

Bincount™: 10

I'd like to add some info that I picked up from an interview with Danny Carey a few months ago, from cacavolante.org, if my memory doesn't betray me.
He stated that the wrtiting process of the new album had been influenced heavily by Fantômas and swedish band Meshuggah.
One can only hope for the complex brutality combined with the sensitivity of Maynard James Keenan's voice is a thread they haven't forgotten.

Last edited by varg; 09-07-2005 at 10:32 AM..
Foamy's Avatar Foamy
10-13-2005, 02:03 AM

What have we learnt since the chat? The art is in pre production, Alex Grey is helping out somehow with the album and it will be one disc. anythink else?
Old 10-13-2005, 02:03 AM   #9
curious george

Bincount™: 6546

What have we learnt since the chat? The art is in pre production, Alex Grey is helping out somehow with the album and it will be one disc. anythink else?
just simulacra's Avatar just simulacra
10-13-2005, 02:05 AM

two videos are in production - kevin willis.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:05 AM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 37

two videos are in production - kevin willis.
10-13-2005, 07:54 AM

Whos Kevin Willis?
Old 10-13-2005, 07:54 AM   #11
curious george

Whos Kevin Willis?
Chris_Brightwell's Avatar Chris_Brightwell
10-13-2005, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamy
Whos Kevin Willis?
A friend of the band. He's worked on several videos.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:00 AM   #12
meh.

Bincount™: 1074

Quote:
Whos Kevin Willis?
A friend of the band. He's worked on several videos.
Tyson's Avatar Tyson
10-13-2005, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Whos Kevin Willis?
http://www.geocities.co.jp/Athlete/5...p_willis_c.jpg
Old 10-13-2005, 05:45 PM   #13
Virgin colada, no rum

Bincount™: 12673

Quote:
Whos Kevin Willis?
http://www.geocities.co.jp/Athlete/5...p_willis_c.jpg
Spongebob's Avatar Spongebob
10-13-2005, 10:07 PM

"- Well, the TA chat happened, but not without some problems. There was an astounding number of people in attendence, ultimately filling the chat rooms with garbage questions and flaming. There is, however, some news that came from it. Danny announced that they will not be releasing a double album and that the new record will be out in early '06 (January), and hinted that the DVD may be out before that. Adam said that the pre-production of the new album's artwork is happening now. Also Alex Grey will be involved with the artwork on the new cd (im thinking dvd), and that a tour with ISIS is a distinct possibility. Last, but certainly not least, the signed Lateralus vinyl will cost TA members $100. (Remember, its an investment!) Thanks to Lachrymotion for filling me in! -EyeChakra"

^ from www.distortiononline.com
It stays there like Excalibur
Are you my Arthur?
Say you are

Take this cool dark steeled blade
Steal it, sheath it
In your lake
I drown with you to be together
Must you breathe?
Cos I need Heaven
Old 10-13-2005, 10:07 PM   #14
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1669

"- Well, the TA chat happened, but not without some problems. There was an astounding number of people in attendence, ultimately filling the chat rooms with garbage questions and flaming. There is, however, some news that came from it. Danny announced that they will not be releasing a double album and that the new record will be out in early '06 (January), and hinted that the DVD may be out before that. Adam said that the pre-production of the new album's artwork is happening now. Also Alex Grey will be involved with the artwork on the new cd (im thinking dvd), and that a tour with ISIS is a distinct possibility. Last, but certainly not least, the signed Lateralus vinyl will cost TA members $100. (Remember, its an investment!) Thanks to Lachrymotion for filling me in! -EyeChakra"

It stays there like Excalibur
Are you my Arthur?
Say you are

Take this cool dark steeled blade
Steal it, sheath it
In your lake
I drown with you to be together
Must you breathe?
Cos I need Heaven
waffel
10-13-2005, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob

THANK YOU FINALLY.

Best part:

"and that a tour with ISIS is a distinct possibility."
Old 10-13-2005, 11:44 PM   #15
Banned.

Bincount™: 3442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob

THANK YOU FINALLY.

Best part:

"and that a tour with ISIS is a distinct possibility."
Foamy's Avatar Foamy
10-14-2005, 12:00 AM

Thrush > Isis
Old 10-14-2005, 12:00 AM   #16
curious george

Thrush > Isis
clone's Avatar clone
11-11-2005, 04:41 AM

2005/11/10 - A DVD including the videos for Schism and Parabol/Parabola plus some extras is planed for release on december this year (source: Toolband)

Last edited by clone; 11-11-2005 at 04:43 AM..
Old 11-11-2005, 04:41 AM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous

2005/11/10 - A DVD including the videos for Schism and Parabol/Parabola plus some extras is planed for release on december this year (source: Toolband)

Last edited by clone; 11-11-2005 at 04:43 AM..
Ryan's Avatar Ryan
11-13-2005, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clone
amazon.com details + preorder can be found here

Schism (2005) - Price: $9.98

Product Details

* Format: Color, Closed-captioned
* Studio: Sbme
* DVD Release Date: December 20, 2005
* ASIN: B000C3L2S4
Old 11-13-2005, 12:53 AM   #18
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 3996

Quote:
Originally Posted by clone
amazon.com details + preorder can be found here

Schism (2005) - Price: $9.98

Product Details

* Format: Color, Closed-captioned
* Studio: Sbme
* DVD Release Date: December 20, 2005
* ASIN: B000C3L2S4
11-14-2005, 09:24 PM

it's also listed here as 'parabola'
Old 11-14-2005, 09:24 PM   #19
Level 9 - Obstreperous

it's also listed here as 'parabola'
12-18-2005, 02:25 AM

stickers on the front of the schism + parabola DVD singles tell us to look out for a new release by tool in spring 2006.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:25 AM   #20
Level 9 - Obstreperous

stickers on the front of the schism + parabola DVD singles tell us to look out for a new release by tool in spring 2006.
12-18-2005, 10:46 AM

The videos (release date: 12-20) have already been picked up by many fans. Hot Topic (don't ask me why) has been selling schism and parabol/parabola early.

Note: sadly, the HIM/greenday cd's have not been taking as much room on shelves.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:46 AM   #21
Level 3 - Talker

The videos (release date: 12-20) have already been picked up by many fans. Hot Topic (don't ask me why) has been selling schism and parabol/parabola early.

Note: sadly, the HIM/greenday cd's have not been taking as much room on shelves.
12-20-2005, 09:32 PM

Not sure if anyone else has drawn attention to this or not but Joe Barresi is definently engineering:

http://www.mcdman.com/barresi.html

Anyone know anything about production?
Old 12-20-2005, 09:32 PM   #22

Not sure if anyone else has drawn attention to this or not but Joe Barresi is definently engineering:

killershears's Avatar killershears
12-21-2005, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neill Fraser

I think engineering is like...in charge of getting the unmixed tracks sounding good...Then mixer does the leveling...then producer masters it and does meticulous tweaks...something like that.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:37 AM   #23
Banned.

Bincount™: 529

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neill Fraser

I think engineering is like...in charge of getting the unmixed tracks sounding good...Then mixer does the leveling...then producer masters it and does meticulous tweaks...something like that.
dark_Speedo's Avatar dark_Speedo
12-21-2005, 01:04 PM

Hes producing? I mean, i like all of his music but to me it doesn't seem like he is any good for Tool's style, he's mostly punk rock and stoner music...
Old 12-21-2005, 01:04 PM   #24
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 4287

Hes producing? I mean, i like all of his music but to me it doesn't seem like he is any good for Tool's style, he's mostly punk rock and stoner music...
killershears's Avatar killershears
12-21-2005, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Lullabies To Paralyze?

Yuck.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:08 PM   #25
Banned.

Bincount™: 529

Quote:
Lullabies To Paralyze?

Yuck.
clone's Avatar clone
01-13-2006, 07:08 AM

2006/01/11 - The new album will be released this year on northern emisphere's spring (excluding march). Currently, they're giving the final touches on the mixing of the new recording (segues, voice overs, effects, etc.).(source: Toolband)

Last edited by clone; 01-13-2006 at 07:11 AM..
Old 01-13-2006, 07:08 AM   #26
Level 8 - Vociferous

2006/01/11 - The new album will be released this year on northern emisphere's spring (excluding march). Currently, they're giving the final touches on the mixing of the new recording (segues, voice overs, effects, etc.).(source: Toolband)

Last edited by clone; 01-13-2006 at 07:11 AM..
Goldfoot
01-18-2006, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggy6532
i am new here and very cool to get new in an organized way.
Can you read? "Don't clutter this thread."

But, to use my respoonse to actually add to the thread, according to someone's email from Blair, it seems they are done with mixing all but one song.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:58 PM   #27
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggy6532
i am new here and very cool to get new in an organized way.
Can you read? "Don't clutter this thread."

But, to use my respoonse to actually add to the thread, according to someone's email from Blair, it seems they are done with mixing all but one song.
01-20-2006, 06:19 PM

I heard on the radio today that they have pushed back the release date...They didn't give any dates...
Old 01-20-2006, 06:19 PM   #28
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1718

I heard on the radio today that they have pushed back the release date...They didn't give any dates...
01-20-2006, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrl
How valid is this?
Old 01-20-2006, 08:45 PM   #29
Suicide Booth ID: 18

Bincount™: 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrl
How valid is this?
dawn's Avatar dawn
01-22-2006, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSteve
How valid is this?

I heard it on the radio...it must be true...
Old 01-22-2006, 08:54 PM   #30
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1718

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSteve
How valid is this?

I heard it on the radio...it must be true...
01-30-2006, 05:04 PM

It's as true as any other piece of news outside the official or semi-official Tool channels... but it's not surprising though.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:04 PM   #31
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

It's as true as any other piece of news outside the official or semi-official Tool channels... but it's not surprising though.
01-30-2006, 11:07 PM

Old 01-30-2006, 11:07 PM   #32
Level 9 - Obstreperous

01-30-2006, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.
Says the source is the LA Times.
http://www.smnnews.com/index.php?sub...t_from=&ucat=&
Old 01-30-2006, 11:31 PM   #33
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.
Says the source is the LA Times.
http://www.smnnews.com/index.php?sub...t_from=&ucat=&
02-01-2006, 01:10 PM

Album is done! All that is left is to press and ship to the stores.

www.toolband.com 2/1/06
Old 02-01-2006, 01:10 PM   #34
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

www.toolband.com 2/1/06
Goldfoot
02-01-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateral Undertow

www.toolband.com 2/1/06
Unless the artwork isn't finished. But yeah, it's coming...........:)
Old 02-01-2006, 01:11 PM   #35
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateral Undertow

www.toolband.com 2/1/06
Unless the artwork isn't finished. But yeah, it's coming...........:)
02-01-2006, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebel
Coz they're a bunch of indie rock lovin bastards, anything that doesn't meet what they want or isn't indie is automatically shit
Yeah... except that Sigur Rós isn't really Indie... but still why not love both Tool and Sigur Rós heh ! they're both amazing.

Oh ! I'm not supposed to clutter the thread... oh well... huh.... ha yes here it is :

Source : Toolband.com

Tool heading the second weekend of Coachella is now Official. yay! shame I can't be there... Mogwai...... Sigur Rós..... well...
Old 02-01-2006, 02:33 PM   #36

Bincount™: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebel
Coz they're a bunch of indie rock lovin bastards, anything that doesn't meet what they want or isn't indie is automatically shit
Yeah... except that Sigur Rós isn't really Indie... but still why not love both Tool and Sigur Rós heh ! they're both amazing.

Oh ! I'm not supposed to clutter the thread... oh well... huh.... ha yes here it is :

Source : Toolband.com

Tool heading the second weekend of Coachella is now Official. yay! shame I can't be there... Mogwai...... Sigur Rós..... well...
02-02-2006, 04:32 PM

don't know when this happend or how relevant it is, but when you go to the '15 Minutes' section under news, there is a new picture there
the Libertyville American Legion, something about Bong Hits...i laughed
Mondays - Thursdays 11:30pm
If Not??.....You're A Coward

Member Of The Colbert Nation Covenant.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:32 PM   #37
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 862

don't know when this happend or how relevant it is, but when you go to the '15 Minutes' section under news, there is a new picture there
Mondays - Thursdays 11:30pm
If Not??.....You're A Coward

Member Of The Colbert Nation Covenant.
hanger25934
02-02-2006, 07:00 PM

lol. that's funny
Old 02-02-2006, 07:00 PM   #38
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

lol. that's funny
Bogart's Avatar Bogart
02-05-2006, 08:25 AM

good stuff
Old 02-05-2006, 08:25 AM   #39
Watch the Weather Change

Bincount™: 4444

good stuff
D-Day_Daddy's Avatar D-Day_Daddy
02-05-2006, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99_9

It's not new. It was around before halloween. And it's not really that funny. I guess pot jokes aren't my cup of tea.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:06 AM   #40
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99_9

It's not new. It was around before halloween. And it's not really that funny. I guess pot jokes aren't my cup of tea.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply