Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Gajarigon's Avatar Gajarigon
04-14-2006, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
I previously posted a report on the Dutch listening session, that was very well translated by somebody else. I promised to tell more after the embargo on April 13th. I was too busy to write a detailed review untill then, but if you check

http://toolheadonline.blogspot.com/2...re-review.html

there is my story. Too busy to translate it myself right now, but if the person who did it last time is able to, be my guest. :)
This is my translation:

The last few days I have received several mails and comments on my blog about the fact that I would post my review of 10.000 Days on the 13th of April. I didn't forget it, I just was too busy... but anyway, here it is:

(note: this is what I thought of it after the first listen and no one can rate any album after just one listen. Also, I'm not going to review every song, like the English reviewer did, but he is pretty accurate.)

The first time you listened to Aenima or Lateralus, it gave the impression of being run over by a train. 10.000 Days doesn't. The start for instance is very calm and quiet. Yet, the album is very extreme, some songs the album are really loud and hard, other songs aren't.

Lateralus was quiet the drumalbum, but Danny uses the tabla a lot more now, which gives Justin a more prominent role, his bass often has this nice echo effect. Adam's guitar playing is hunting and staccato (following the beat) en less massive than on previous records.

Another big difference are Maynards vocals: less screaming, more modest. It sometimes sounded more like A Perfect Circle than Tool. Also, some passages (like 'Who are you to wave your finger') could be political. Often, there are multiple vocal lines, both backing vocals and a multiple-layered Maynard.

10.000 Days has a lot of soundscapes as well: Rain, thunderstorms, something that sounds like meditating munks (indians?)... A few songs again have a tribal, buddhistic mode.

There was one passage I didn't like, and it was on the second half of the album, where a conversation between a man and a woman can be heared (probably doctor and nurse) where Maynard is the patient.

A lot of fans will not be expecting this, and after the listening session a lot of people were in fact disappointed. I myself didn't have the same sensation that I had when I heard the two last albums for the first time, but it was a very exciting and interesting album, with lots of quiet parts... But I will only be able to write a full review when I heard it more.

== (the end) ==
Old 04-14-2006, 01:10 AM   #1
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11
Hans' listening session (translation

Quote:
I previously posted a report on the Dutch listening session, that was very well translated by somebody else. I promised to tell more after the embargo on April 13th. I was too busy to write a detailed review untill then, but if you check

http://toolheadonline.blogspot.com/2...re-review.html

there is my story. Too busy to translate it myself right now, but if the person who did it last time is able to, be my guest. :)
This is my translation:

The last few days I have received several mails and comments on my blog about the fact that I would post my review of 10.000 Days on the 13th of April. I didn't forget it, I just was too busy... but anyway, here it is:

(note: this is what I thought of it after the first listen and no one can rate any album after just one listen. Also, I'm not going to review every song, like the English reviewer did, but he is pretty accurate.)

The first time you listened to Aenima or Lateralus, it gave the impression of being run over by a train. 10.000 Days doesn't. The start for instance is very calm and quiet. Yet, the album is very extreme, some songs the album are really loud and hard, other songs aren't.

Lateralus was quiet the drumalbum, but Danny uses the tabla a lot more now, which gives Justin a more prominent role, his bass often has this nice echo effect. Adam's guitar playing is hunting and staccato (following the beat) en less massive than on previous records.

Another big difference are Maynards vocals: less screaming, more modest. It sometimes sounded more like A Perfect Circle than Tool. Also, some passages (like 'Who are you to wave your finger') could be political. Often, there are multiple vocal lines, both backing vocals and a multiple-layered Maynard.

10.000 Days has a lot of soundscapes as well: Rain, thunderstorms, something that sounds like meditating munks (indians?)... A few songs again have a tribal, buddhistic mode.

There was one passage I didn't like, and it was on the second half of the album, where a conversation between a man and a woman can be heared (probably doctor and nurse) where Maynard is the patient.

A lot of fans will not be expecting this, and after the listening session a lot of people were in fact disappointed. I myself didn't have the same sensation that I had when I heard the two last albums for the first time, but it was a very exciting and interesting album, with lots of quiet parts... But I will only be able to write a full review when I heard it more.

== (the end) ==
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Nebel
04-14-2006, 01:13 AM

Hmm...dissapointing
Old 04-14-2006, 01:13 AM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38
Re: Hans' listening session (translation

Hmm...dissapointing
Morfindel's Avatar Morfindel
04-14-2006, 01:15 AM

Finally, a review that does not suck. Thanks for the translation
Old 04-14-2006, 01:15 AM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Finally, a review that does not suck. Thanks for the translation
04-14-2006, 01:17 AM

This review is senseless. no one can/should judge a new Tool record after ONE listening session.

I am not dissapointed.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:17 AM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 9

This review is senseless. no one can/should judge a new Tool record after ONE listening session.

I am not dissapointed.
Staralfur's Avatar Staralfur
04-14-2006, 01:19 AM

oh noes....lol
Old 04-14-2006, 01:19 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

oh noes....lol
04-14-2006, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
At least he was honest.
Indeed. Everybody seems to say 'LIES' when somebody says something bad about the album. I still think it could suck though. Let's hope not, but you never know.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:22 AM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
At least he was honest.
Indeed. Everybody seems to say 'LIES' when somebody says something bad about the album. I still think it could suck though. Let's hope not, but you never know.
steve99_9's Avatar steve99_9
04-14-2006, 01:23 AM

some random swedish guy with a blog only 'liked' the album...oh god say it isn't so
Mondays - Thursdays 11:30pm
If Not??.....You're A Coward

Member Of The Colbert Nation Covenant.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:23 AM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 862

some random swedish guy with a blog only 'liked' the album...oh god say it isn't so
Mondays - Thursdays 11:30pm
If Not??.....You're A Coward

Member Of The Colbert Nation Covenant.
Idiotica
04-14-2006, 01:27 AM

the spoken part is probably 'lost keys'. i suppose there will always be parts of an album you don't like - for me the interludes in aenima are mostly a pain and a couple tracks off lateralus are on permanent skip for me (Patient, Ticks)
Old 04-14-2006, 01:27 AM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 36

the spoken part is probably 'lost keys'. i suppose there will always be parts of an album you don't like - for me the interludes in aenima are mostly a pain and a couple tracks off lateralus are on permanent skip for me (Patient, Ticks)
Light Reflections
04-14-2006, 01:29 AM

All of Tool's album left me like, "WTF?" on the first listen.

I'm sure I'll grow to love this one also.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:29 AM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 55

All of Tool's album left me like, "WTF?" on the first listen.

I'm sure I'll grow to love this one also.
stinkfish's Avatar stinkfish
04-14-2006, 01:32 AM

I keep getting more and more disappointed. Actually the part I found the most interesting was the dialogue between the nurse and patient. The funny thing is my biggest fear since I heard tool was working on a new album was that it would end up sounding too much like apc.

Even tho one review after one listen doesnt mean shit, this still adds up to the bunch of disappointments we've had lately.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:32 AM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 21

I keep getting more and more disappointed. Actually the part I found the most interesting was the dialogue between the nurse and patient. The funny thing is my biggest fear since I heard tool was working on a new album was that it would end up sounding too much like apc.

Even tho one review after one listen doesnt mean shit, this still adds up to the bunch of disappointments we've had lately.
Idiotica
04-14-2006, 01:36 AM

the nurse who loved me part II
Old 04-14-2006, 01:36 AM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 36

the nurse who loved me part II
pensar
04-14-2006, 01:39 AM

::tiger arm pump::
Old 04-14-2006, 01:39 AM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

::tiger arm pump::
Madklikor
04-14-2006, 01:47 AM

He doesn't say he only "liked" it, he says it's interesting and exciting, and that one listen is not enough to judge the album. It seems like the album is harder to get than Lateralus. Their ethnic influences seem very present. It's seem quieter too...

I do believe that a lot of fans will be dissapointed anyway, at least at the first listens.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:47 AM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

He doesn't say he only "liked" it, he says it's interesting and exciting, and that one listen is not enough to judge the album. It seems like the album is harder to get than Lateralus. Their ethnic influences seem very present. It's seem quieter too...

I do believe that a lot of fans will be dissapointed anyway, at least at the first listens.
mike09's Avatar mike09
04-14-2006, 02:32 AM

I just want to hear the damn thing.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:32 AM   #14
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

I just want to hear the damn thing.
SoulEdge's Avatar SoulEdge
04-14-2006, 02:47 AM

Quote:
It sometimes sounded more like A Perfect Circle than Tool.
Fuck.

Quote:
A lot of fans will not be expecting this, and after the listening session a lot of people were in fact disappointed. I myself didn't have the same sensation that I had when I heard the two last albums for the first time
Fuck!
Old 04-14-2006, 02:47 AM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 19

Quote:
It sometimes sounded more like A Perfect Circle than Tool.
Fuck.

Quote:
A lot of fans will not be expecting this, and after the listening session a lot of people were in fact disappointed. I myself didn't have the same sensation that I had when I heard the two last albums for the first time
Fuck!
04-14-2006, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiotica
jeeez are you serious?
the patient is one of the (if not "the" ) most beautiful tool songs ever.
has given me chills many many times.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:48 AM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiotica
jeeez are you serious?
Light Reflections
04-14-2006, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfriday
jeeez are you serious?
Yep.

The Patient = One of the most beautiful songs Tool has ever created.
And Ticks? One of the most brutal. Love 'em both.

But back on topic:

*shits self*

Aw man...
Old 04-14-2006, 02:50 AM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
jeeez are you serious?
Yep.

The Patient = One of the most beautiful songs Tool has ever created.
And Ticks? One of the most brutal. Love 'em both.

But back on topic:

*shits self*

Aw man...
04-14-2006, 02:51 AM

Quote:
I agree. Whenever I listen to Lateralus, I always skip The Grudge and Eon Blue Apocalypse and go straight to The Patient.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:51 AM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
I agree. Whenever I listen to Lateralus, I always skip The Grudge and Eon Blue Apocalypse and go straight to The Patient.
04-14-2006, 02:54 AM

Whenever I listen to Lateralus, i end up skipping the whole thing and putting in a Gorillaz album.
She, AS PLANNED, sat in the front row, repeatedly stripping her over clothes and completely pulling up her dress and slip and pulling aside her old-fashioned pink BLOOMERS in order to display her ANUS, her CUNT. She repeatedly gesticulated and whispered: "I’ll give it to you to suck! FINISH HIM!" - FRANCIS E. DEC
Old 04-14-2006, 02:54 AM   #19
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 18668

Whenever I listen to Lateralus, i end up skipping the whole thing and putting in a Gorillaz album.
She, AS PLANNED, sat in the front row, repeatedly stripping her over clothes and completely pulling up her dress and slip and pulling aside her old-fashioned pink BLOOMERS in order to display her ANUS, her CUNT. She repeatedly gesticulated and whispered: "I’ll give it to you to suck! FINISH HIM!" - FRANCIS E. DEC
04-14-2006, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianoetic
Whenever I listen to a Gorillaz CD, I end up skipping the entire album and attempt to commit suicide.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:56 AM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianoetic
Whenever I listen to a Gorillaz CD, I end up skipping the entire album and attempt to commit suicide.
04-14-2006, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulEdge
lol.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:01 AM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulEdge
lol.
Pineal's Avatar Pineal
04-14-2006, 03:05 AM

You're all getting worried because some random person says something which is just their opinion of the album. IT DOESN'T MEAN SHIT!!!!!!!!!!! Go fucking bury your heads in sand for a few weeks, buy the album, and form you're own opinion's once you've heard it.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:05 AM   #22
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 15

You're all getting worried because some random person says something which is just their opinion of the album. IT DOESN'T MEAN SHIT!!!!!!!!!!! Go fucking bury your heads in sand for a few weeks, buy the album, and form you're own opinion's once you've heard it.
Systolic
04-14-2006, 03:15 AM

I kind of like his description. It sounds like Tool has really put some heart into this album, and not just made what everyone WANTS them to make.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:15 AM   #23
Level 9 - Obstreperous

I kind of like his description. It sounds like Tool has really put some heart into this album, and not just made what everyone WANTS them to make.
04-14-2006, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systolic
you should know, David probably provided you with the whole album by now huh? why don't you open up a internet chat so we can all come and lick your balls.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:28 AM   #24
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 21

Quote:
you should know, David probably provided you with the whole album by now huh? why don't you open up a internet chat so we can all come and lick your balls.
Systolic
04-14-2006, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkfish
Better yet, why don't I report this to Windir so you get banned?
Old 04-14-2006, 03:30 AM   #25
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkfish
04-14-2006, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Stinkfish and Windir are married.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:32 AM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Stinkfish and Windir are married.
04-14-2006, 03:33 AM

Quote:
You should've been banned. Until at least may 2.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:33 AM   #27
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
You should've been banned. Until at least may 2.
Systolic
04-14-2006, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code of the Streets
You should've been banned.
For what? Getting owned and "vicariously" owning everyone who was owned because of me? Nope.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:34 AM   #28
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code of the Streets
You should've been banned.
For what? Getting owned and "vicariously" owning everyone who was owned because of me? Nope.
04-14-2006, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Ok I have no issues what-so-ever with the whole "I fell for it but I was trying to be helpful" thing, but making "I'll tell Mommy!" threats is lame.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:42 AM   #29
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 52

Quote:
Ok I have no issues what-so-ever with the whole "I fell for it but I was trying to be helpful" thing, but making "I'll tell Mommy!" threats is lame.
Systolic
04-14-2006, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozy Eulogist
He told me to point stuff out to him.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:43 AM   #30
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozy Eulogist
He told me to point stuff out to him.
04-14-2006, 03:46 AM

What kind of a name is Dan anyways?
Old 04-14-2006, 03:46 AM   #31
Level 7 - Loquacious

What kind of a name is Dan anyways?
04-14-2006, 04:05 AM

i approve of this review

but, i think his listening order must've been different. he says that the album starts soft, while kabir says it hits you right off...

?
Old 04-14-2006, 04:05 AM   #32
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Location: UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE IMO
Bincount™: 8627

i approve of this review

but, i think his listening order must've been different. he says that the album starts soft, while kabir says it hits you right off...

?
04-14-2006, 04:40 AM

I will listen to Kabir before some dutch dude.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:40 AM   #33
dorkus maximus
(the t.d.n crybaby)

Bincount™: 832

I will listen to Kabir before some dutch dude.
badshirt
04-14-2006, 05:05 AM

I don't buy this guys shit. He also described the album starting in a completely different way - exactly the opposite of what Kabir says.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:05 AM   #34
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

I don't buy this guys shit. He also described the album starting in a completely different way - exactly the opposite of what Kabir says.
ArizonaBay's Avatar ArizonaBay
04-14-2006, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badshirt
Yeah. It sounds far too different from Kabirs review, except the dialogue bit. Interesting, well i like the idea of soundscapes though. I hope the perfect circle thing only refers to the vocals, because that would be alright, and not the music 'cause that would be really shit.

Last edited by ArizonaBay; 04-14-2006 at 05:23 AM..
Old 04-14-2006, 05:19 AM   #35
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by badshirt
Yeah. It sounds far too different from Kabirs review, except the dialogue bit. Interesting, well i like the idea of soundscapes though. I hope the perfect circle thing only refers to the vocals, because that would be alright, and not the music 'cause that would be really shit.

Last edited by ArizonaBay; 04-14-2006 at 05:23 AM..
Hans's Avatar Hans
04-14-2006, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMa

I am not dissapointed.
If you had actually read my story, it says " (note: this is what I thought of it after the first listen and no one can rate any album after just one listen. Also, I'm not going to review every song, like the English reviewer did, but he is pretty accurate.) [...] But I will only be able to write a full review when I heard it more.
"

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99_9
actually I'm Dutch, totally different country :)
and i wouldn't want to stress the word "liked" as in that it could be better, that is just your way of reading it.

Last edited by Hans; 04-14-2006 at 05:42 AM..
Old 04-14-2006, 05:38 AM   #36
Useful Idiot

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMa

I am not dissapointed.
If you had actually read my story, it says " (note: this is what I thought of it after the first listen and no one can rate any album after just one listen. Also, I'm not going to review every song, like the English reviewer did, but he is pretty accurate.) [...] But I will only be able to write a full review when I heard it more.
"

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99_9
actually I'm Dutch, totally different country :)
and i wouldn't want to stress the word "liked" as in that it could be better, that is just your way of reading it.

Last edited by Hans; 04-14-2006 at 05:42 AM..
Gajarigon's Avatar Gajarigon
04-14-2006, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBay
I hope the perfect circle thing only refers to the vocals, because that would be alright, and not the music 'cause that would be really shit.
Yes, it refers to the vocals only.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:48 AM   #37
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBay
I hope the perfect circle thing only refers to the vocals, because that would be alright, and not the music 'cause that would be really shit.
Yes, it refers to the vocals only.
Hans's Avatar Hans
04-14-2006, 05:52 AM

one more thing about being disappointed or not; i meant that a lot of people like the strong, heavy music and vocals and they might get less than they hoped for. (Something that got a bit lost in this otherwise accurate English translation by Gajarigon.) The force of the previous two albums made me like being pleasantly run over by a car or something. That feeling is less now.
There are still heavy parts, but less than on Lateralus or AEnima - the new album has more quiet moments. The APC-reference was indeed only about the vocals as Gajarigon mentioned above.

Quote:
The order of the listening session cd wasn't definitive. Remember Andy King?
if not, it did feel like most tracks really faded into each other. (So maybe the same "trick" as with Lateralus' potentially different track order?)

The most current edition of the Dutch magazine OOR has a big feature about Tool and also a review of the listening session. If a translation is not posted already by next Sunday/Monday, I will try to do it.

Last edited by Hans; 04-14-2006 at 06:00 AM..
Old 04-14-2006, 05:52 AM   #38
Useful Idiot

Bincount™: 0

one more thing about being disappointed or not; i meant that a lot of people like the strong, heavy music and vocals and they might get less than they hoped for. (Something that got a bit lost in this otherwise accurate English translation by Gajarigon.) The force of the previous two albums made me like being pleasantly run over by a car or something. That feeling is less now.
There are still heavy parts, but less than on Lateralus or AEnima - the new album has more quiet moments. The APC-reference was indeed only about the vocals as Gajarigon mentioned above.

Quote:
The order of the listening session cd wasn't definitive. Remember Andy King?
if not, it did feel like most tracks really faded into each other. (So maybe the same "trick" as with Lateralus' potentially different track order?)

The most current edition of the Dutch magazine OOR has a big feature about Tool and also a review of the listening session. If a translation is not posted already by next Sunday/Monday, I will try to do it.

Last edited by Hans; 04-14-2006 at 06:00 AM..
Systolic
04-14-2006, 05:54 AM

Quote:
one more thing about being disappointed or not; i meant that a lot of people like the strong, heavy music and vocals. The new album has more quiet moments. The APC-reference was indeed only about the vocals as Gajarigon mentioned above.
Did you find the album to be pretty accessible? Was it easy to listen to, or did it become a little obscure and difficult to penetrate over the course of the album?
Old 04-14-2006, 05:54 AM   #39
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
one more thing about being disappointed or not; i meant that a lot of people like the strong, heavy music and vocals. The new album has more quiet moments. The APC-reference was indeed only about the vocals as Gajarigon mentioned above.
Did you find the album to be pretty accessible? Was it easy to listen to, or did it become a little obscure and difficult to penetrate over the course of the album?
04-14-2006, 06:00 AM

With all due respect, I'm getting sick of reading reviews of an album I haven't heard. Either I'm incredibly jealous, or just frustrated. May 2nd can't come soon enough. FEED THE MONSTER DAMMIT! GIVE ME TOOL!!
Old 04-14-2006, 06:00 AM   #40
Banned.

Bincount™: 6746

With all due respect, I'm getting sick of reading reviews of an album I haven't heard. Either I'm incredibly jealous, or just frustrated. May 2nd can't come soon enough. FEED THE MONSTER DAMMIT! GIVE ME TOOL!!

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply