Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
TheRuleOfThree's Avatar TheRuleOfThree
03-23-2006, 08:51 AM

Just so you all know, apparently on TA a member noted that Alex Grey posted the same "Album-Mini" picture in his recent newsletter, saying it was some of his work on the new album.

If this is old, you can bin it. If not, I figured it would at least serve as more confirmation of the legitimacy of the information we have.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:51 AM   #1
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 23
Alex Grey Confirms Album Cover

Just so you all know, apparently on TA a member noted that Alex Grey posted the same "Album-Mini" picture in his recent newsletter, saying it was some of his work on the new album.

If this is old, you can bin it. If not, I figured it would at least serve as more confirmation of the legitimacy of the information we have.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
stinkfish's Avatar stinkfish
03-23-2006, 08:52 AM

they're all part of the hoax
Old 03-23-2006, 08:52 AM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 21
Re: Alex Grey Confirms Album Cover

they're all part of the hoax
Clutch it like an AEnima's Avatar Clutch it like an AEnima
03-23-2006, 08:53 AM

well we can all hope so
Old 03-23-2006, 08:53 AM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 14

well we can all hope so
03-23-2006, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuleOfThree

good find. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:53 AM   #4
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 27

Quote:

good find. Thanks.
03-23-2006, 09:00 AM

I've been maintaining for a long time that the information we had was truthful and that people were simply searching for reasons to believe that it was false since it didn't embody what they expected out of the band. Unfortunately, most will deny it until the 2nd of May anyway. I just figured for those who actually enjoy hearing TRUTHFUL information would appreciate hearing more of it, since the majority of this forum is bogged down with speculation and stupidity.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:00 AM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

I've been maintaining for a long time that the information we had was truthful and that people were simply searching for reasons to believe that it was false since it didn't embody what they expected out of the band. Unfortunately, most will deny it until the 2nd of May anyway. I just figured for those who actually enjoy hearing TRUTHFUL information would appreciate hearing more of it, since the majority of this forum is bogged down with speculation and stupidity.
bonus.cheese's Avatar bonus.cheese
03-23-2006, 09:09 AM

Hmm.. if it is a part of the album, I hope that isn't the whole thing. I also hope that its the inside art work on a sleeve or something.

Kinda like how the Amazon image for the Parabola dvd was the inside sleeve.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:09 AM   #6

Bincount™: 6

Hmm.. if it is a part of the album, I hope that isn't the whole thing. I also hope that its the inside art work on a sleeve or something.

Kinda like how the Amazon image for the Parabola dvd was the inside sleeve.
03-23-2006, 09:10 AM

I imagine, as with everything else, we will not have the full picture of how this album is presented until we hold it in our hands.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:10 AM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

I imagine, as with everything else, we will not have the full picture of how this album is presented until we hold it in our hands.
Bogart's Avatar Bogart
03-23-2006, 09:10 AM

Nice find...I actually like the album mini picture and look forward to see what the rest of the art looks like.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:10 AM   #8
Watch the Weather Change

Bincount™: 4444

Nice find...I actually like the album mini picture and look forward to see what the rest of the art looks like.
T-13h's Avatar T-13h
03-23-2006, 09:13 AM

Quote:
... your mom is bogged down in speculation and stupidity... I mean, wait, thanks for the confirmation, but how about everyone stops dissing the forum in posts they make on the forum. k tnx.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:13 AM   #9
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 911

Quote:
... your mom is bogged down in speculation and stupidity... I mean, wait, thanks for the confirmation, but how about everyone stops dissing the forum in posts they make on the forum. k tnx.
03-23-2006, 09:14 AM

well did he say cover or are we just assuming that's what it is? ::shrug:: i'm just throwing that idea out...ie it could be a part of the liner notes, or art for a single, etc.

i mean...has anyone actually said either way that the one piece of artwork shown is the cover, specifically?

edit: you guys post fast, =P

and what newsletter?
Old 03-23-2006, 09:14 AM   #10

Bincount™: 0

well did he say cover or are we just assuming that's what it is? ::shrug:: i'm just throwing that idea out...ie it could be a part of the liner notes, or art for a single, etc.

i mean...has anyone actually said either way that the one piece of artwork shown is the cover, specifically?

edit: you guys post fast, =P

and what newsletter?
03-23-2006, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-13h

I'm not "dissing" the forum per se, but I think it's a valid criticism to note that people are overlooking pretty obvious evidence as to the authenticity of what we have. But I'll tone down the frustration for the sake of taste.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:15 AM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-13h

I'm not "dissing" the forum per se, but I think it's a valid criticism to note that people are overlooking pretty obvious evidence as to the authenticity of what we have. But I'll tone down the frustration for the sake of taste.
03-23-2006, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknocker

No. All I know is that apparently Alex included the image in his newsletter and something along the lines of "This is artwork that I did for the new Tool record, blah blah blah." I have no idea whether or not it's the cover, although my gut tells me that it is a layer or part of the larger presentation. It is clearly "representative" of the album cover itself, which is why it's being used.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:17 AM   #12
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknocker

No. All I know is that apparently Alex included the image in his newsletter and something along the lines of "This is artwork that I did for the new Tool record, blah blah blah." I have no idea whether or not it's the cover, although my gut tells me that it is a layer or part of the larger presentation. It is clearly "representative" of the album cover itself, which is why it's being used.
chalimar's Avatar chalimar
03-23-2006, 09:19 AM

Where can I find this newsletter? Been to Alex Grey's site but can't seem to find a section with newsletters.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:19 AM   #13

Bincount™: 4

Where can I find this newsletter? Been to Alex Grey's site but can't seem to find a section with newsletters.
03-23-2006, 09:21 AM

I'll contact the poster on TA and see if he can forward me a copy for verification purposes.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:21 AM   #14
Level 8 - Vociferous

I'll contact the poster on TA and see if he can forward me a copy for verification purposes.
03-23-2006, 09:24 AM

Ok... it is the cover.

http://www.cosm.org/index.html

Click on "News."
Old 03-23-2006, 09:24 AM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

Ok... it is the cover.

http://www.cosm.org/index.html

Click on "News."
Wretched's Avatar Wretched
03-23-2006, 09:25 AM

That's good. Now everyone, stop giving a fuck about the god damn art. Wait till May 2nd before you post here again.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:25 AM   #16
Banned.

Bincount™: 3710

That's good. Now everyone, stop giving a fuck about the god damn art. Wait till May 2nd before you post here again.
svet-am
03-23-2006, 09:28 AM

the artwork, seemingly confirmed by Mr Grey, does not mesh well with the alleged themes of '10,000 Days' and the more 'angry, agressive, political' sound that they've been spouting in interview recently.

i give a lot of credence to Alex Grey, so I think he's honest and that is, in fact, part of the artwork for album. however, i think the band is still fucking with us when it comes to album title and song titles.

seeing stuff on amazon.com proves nothing. any joe on the street can email amazon to 'correct' information for a particular album. When KMFDM's album WWIII came out, they initially had it labelled as 'Wwiii'. On the album page it had a link to 'is this info wrong? contact us to correct it'. I clicked the link, explained that it should be all caps as in 'World War III' and the next day, the title was totally fixed. you can do the same thing if the album artwork is 'incorrect.'

so, tool could've just sent amazon incorrect info.

for all the folks hearing DJs spouting stuff, they're just recycling info that is being put out on the Intarweb by people like this forum.

TOOL is doing a good job of keeping things secret. No, i don't think it's part of the 1 April joke -- i think it's about keeping the album pure until release.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:28 AM   #17
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 9

the artwork, seemingly confirmed by Mr Grey, does not mesh well with the alleged themes of '10,000 Days' and the more 'angry, agressive, political' sound that they've been spouting in interview recently.

i give a lot of credence to Alex Grey, so I think he's honest and that is, in fact, part of the artwork for album. however, i think the band is still fucking with us when it comes to album title and song titles.

seeing stuff on amazon.com proves nothing. any joe on the street can email amazon to 'correct' information for a particular album. When KMFDM's album WWIII came out, they initially had it labelled as 'Wwiii'. On the album page it had a link to 'is this info wrong? contact us to correct it'. I clicked the link, explained that it should be all caps as in 'World War III' and the next day, the title was totally fixed. you can do the same thing if the album artwork is 'incorrect.'

for all the folks hearing DJs spouting stuff, they're just recycling info that is being put out on the Intarweb by people like this forum.

TOOL is doing a good job of keeping things secret. No, i don't think it's part of the 1 April joke -- i think it's about keeping the album pure until release.
03-23-2006, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svet-am

Since when did people listen to what the members of Tool say to us?
Old 03-23-2006, 09:29 AM   #18
Banned.

Quote:

03-23-2006, 09:32 AM

Quote:

*Sigh*

Listen... Alex Grey has his picture with the title "10,000 Days" superimposed over the painting with a note next to it confirming the truth of the image and his work with the new album. If it was fake, he wouldn't present it as such.

And by the way, you haven't heard the album, and neither have I, so frankly I find it rather useless to comment that the artwork doesn't mesh with the sound of the album. Until we hear the album and hold it in our hands, it is essentially impossible for us to speak on the meaning of anything besides what the band gives us (i.e. tracklisting, artwork, etc.) Anything else is just more of what I was complaining about above... people speculating and assuming what Tool will do based on what THEY want the band to do rather than what the band actually is doing.

But whatever.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:32 AM   #19
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

*Sigh*

Listen... Alex Grey has his picture with the title "10,000 Days" superimposed over the painting with a note next to it confirming the truth of the image and his work with the new album. If it was fake, he wouldn't present it as such.

And by the way, you haven't heard the album, and neither have I, so frankly I find it rather useless to comment that the artwork doesn't mesh with the sound of the album. Until we hear the album and hold it in our hands, it is essentially impossible for us to speak on the meaning of anything besides what the band gives us (i.e. tracklisting, artwork, etc.) Anything else is just more of what I was complaining about above... people speculating and assuming what Tool will do based on what THEY want the band to do rather than what the band actually is doing.

But whatever.
svet-am
03-23-2006, 09:35 AM

Quote:
*Sigh*

But whatever.
You do realize that Alex Grey does not do his own news updates -- he has a helper do that like TOOL has Blair to do the web site. The news post isn't even written in first person. it's in third.

Also, no, I have not heard the album -- never claimed to. I am simply extrapolating from the explanations of the sound and feel and aim of the album that the member of the band have described in their own words from their own mouths during interviews that have been readily bandied about on this forum.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:35 AM   #20
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 9

Quote:
*Sigh*

But whatever.
You do realize that Alex Grey does not do his own news updates -- he has a helper do that like TOOL has Blair to do the web site. The news post isn't even written in first person. it's in third.

Also, no, I have not heard the album -- never claimed to. I am simply extrapolating from the explanations of the sound and feel and aim of the album that the member of the band have described in their own words from their own mouths during interviews that have been readily bandied about on this forum.
03-23-2006, 09:43 AM

I like how they call it an "interpretation of Net of Being" when what they mean to say is "a greyscale version of"
Old 03-23-2006, 09:43 AM   #21
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Location: UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE IMO
Bincount™: 8627

I like how they call it an "interpretation of Net of Being" when what they mean to say is "a greyscale version of"
03-23-2006, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
I would like to think that ALL members of this forum listen to what members of Tool say to us. We are Tool fans, are we not? Though it does seem that an increasing number of posts in this forum suggest that people are bigger fans of themselves and their inflated egos. Tool have chosen this art as the cover for their album, until otherwise notified. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you are one who judges the proverbial book by the proverbial cover (art), then you really don't belong here.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:44 AM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
I would like to think that ALL members of this forum listen to what members of Tool say to us. We are Tool fans, are we not? Though it does seem that an increasing number of posts in this forum suggest that people are bigger fans of themselves and their inflated egos. Tool have chosen this art as the cover for their album, until otherwise notified. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you are one who judges the proverbial book by the proverbial cover (art), then you really don't belong here.

Hey everyone, I am new to posting here but I am wondering if this is all false or not because this is not a "new" peice of art, I found the following picture doing a google search and this is the same as the "album art" but just turned grey scale basically.

http://healinggifts.net/alexgrey.jpg
Old 03-23-2006, 09:44 AM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Hey everyone, I am new to posting here but I am wondering if this is all false or not because this is not a "new" peice of art, I found the following picture doing a google search and this is the same as the "album art" but just turned grey scale basically.

So you're telling me that even though Toolband.com, Amazon.com, and Alex Grey's personal website, as well as many other secondary sources (this website and other fan sites, webzines, etc.) have all posted the title, tracklisting, and this image as verified and true, you believe that we are still being lied to?

I suppose this thread isn't the right place for this discussion, so I'll just say this... I am amazed at the persistence of your skepticism. It is truly impressive.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:44 AM   #24
Level 8 - Vociferous

So you're telling me that even though Toolband.com, Amazon.com, and Alex Grey's personal website, as well as many other secondary sources (this website and other fan sites, webzines, etc.) have all posted the title, tracklisting, and this image as verified and true, you believe that we are still being lied to?

I suppose this thread isn't the right place for this discussion, so I'll just say this... I am amazed at the persistence of your skepticism. It is truly impressive.
03-23-2006, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletLetterMan
I agree, I like the art and respect what Tool does. It just needs to be said that Tool are known for exageratting and out right lying to members of the media.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:45 AM   #25
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletLetterMan
I agree, I like the art and respect what Tool does. It just needs to be said that Tool are known for exageratting and out right lying to members of the media.
03-23-2006, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakarrn

Welcome. Have fun.

Before other people attack you, many have already noticed this (including the a person above you), but good catch anyway. Good luck around here. :-P
Old 03-23-2006, 09:46 AM   #26
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakarrn

Welcome. Have fun.

Before other people attack you, many have already noticed this (including the a person above you), but good catch anyway. Good luck around here. :-P
gl0tch's Avatar gl0tch
03-23-2006, 09:58 AM

Quote:

Well with that being said, I sorta remember almost one year ago to the week, every MAJOR news outlet reporting Maynard's defection to Jesus for several days. Why wouldnt they one-up that again, so close to the album's release?

think about it. IT IS POSSIBLE.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:58 AM   #27
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 15

Quote:

Well with that being said, I sorta remember almost one year ago to the week, every MAJOR news outlet reporting Maynard's defection to Jesus for several days. Why wouldnt they one-up that again, so close to the album's release?

03-23-2006, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl0tch

Because there is a difference between news and products. Rumors about news and bands leak. But Tool is also a product, part of an industry, and there is a machine that they have to cater to in order to get a record nationally promoted and distributed. Logic has to play a role in these occurances.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:00 AM   #28
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl0tch

Because there is a difference between news and products. Rumors about news and bands leak. But Tool is also a product, part of an industry, and there is a machine that they have to cater to in order to get a record nationally promoted and distributed. Logic has to play a role in these occurances.
gl0tch's Avatar gl0tch
03-23-2006, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Really? It seems to me when the news gets out how we've all been mind fucked, that would be the largest promotion vehicle to date. I'm just saying, if there is a band out there capable (and worthy) to test the limits of the system, it would be Tool. This is supposed to be their "political" album right? We have been instructed to question authority right? Authority is systematic right? Amazon is a system right?

Don't get me wrong, I'm the farthest thing from any political party, but I think its just funny how all these teenage angst ridden fanboys are all "yeah fuck the goverment! Let's watch it topple! Don't believe any thing they say!," but when it comes to question amazon or how they get their imported / manufactured things (ie- the fabric of their material reality), they're like "NO, no, that would NEVER break norm and be misconstrued or manipulated."

It's just conditional and crap. I would rather be a cynic, a skeptic, and a visionary, then a blind and accepting fawn. (or fool).
Old 03-23-2006, 10:08 AM   #29
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Really? It seems to me when the news gets out how we've all been mind fucked, that would be the largest promotion vehicle to date. I'm just saying, if there is a band out there capable (and worthy) to test the limits of the system, it would be Tool. This is supposed to be their "political" album right? We have been instructed to question authority right? Authority is systematic right? Amazon is a system right?

Don't get me wrong, I'm the farthest thing from any political party, but I think its just funny how all these teenage angst ridden fanboys are all "yeah fuck the goverment! Let's watch it topple! Don't believe any thing they say!," but when it comes to question amazon or how they get their imported / manufactured things (ie- the fabric of their material reality), they're like "NO, no, that would NEVER break norm and be misconstrued or manipulated."

It's just conditional and crap. I would rather be a cynic, a skeptic, and a visionary, then a blind and accepting fawn. (or fool).
03-23-2006, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
I hope all is real.

I like everything.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:08 AM   #30
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
I hope all is real.

I like everything.
gl0tch's Avatar gl0tch
03-23-2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blend
Uh... I went to alex grey's site... and he's sucking cock to promote his daughter's movie. WTF? Fuck Tim Allen and all the horseshit he's involved in. Jesus Christ.
Yeah. Exactly. Though he may be a skilled painter, I think he knows VERY well who his audience is, and how quickly the dollar drops over self-help / New Age enlightment c/o Border's Books & Music or Barnes and Noble.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:10 AM   #31
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Uh... I went to alex grey's site... and he's sucking cock to promote his daughter's movie. WTF? Fuck Tim Allen and all the horseshit he's involved in. Jesus Christ.
Yeah. Exactly. Though he may be a skilled painter, I think he knows VERY well who his audience is, and how quickly the dollar drops over self-help / New Age enlightment c/o Border's Books & Music or Barnes and Noble.
khemystri's Avatar khemystri
03-23-2006, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracomordag
there are subtle differences other than greyscale....
Old 03-23-2006, 10:15 AM   #32
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracomordag
there are subtle differences other than greyscale....
chalimar's Avatar chalimar
03-23-2006, 10:15 AM

Quote:
She is his daughter. It's HIS site. That about says it all, doesn't it? Jesus Christ.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:15 AM   #33

Quote:
She is his daughter. It's HIS site. That about says it all, doesn't it? Jesus Christ.
gl0tch's Avatar gl0tch
03-23-2006, 10:17 AM

but Tim Allen and LSD in the same webpage?!?!? That's like saying MDMA and Grandma Moses.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:17 AM   #34
Level 7 - Loquacious

but Tim Allen and LSD in the same webpage?!?!? That's like saying MDMA and Grandma Moses.
embracingyou's Avatar embracingyou
03-23-2006, 10:20 AM

So will the album art be by Alex Grey again? And the possible new site design by Josh Davis?
Old 03-23-2006, 10:20 AM   #35

So will the album art be by Alex Grey again? And the possible new site design by Josh Davis?
dracomordag's Avatar dracomordag
03-23-2006, 10:21 AM

Quote:
because it's so sinful to try to help your daughter make some money when you have the fame and wield to do so.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:21 AM   #36
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Location: UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE IMO

Quote:
because it's so sinful to try to help your daughter make some money when you have the fame and wield to do so.
03-23-2006, 10:22 AM

Yeah, Alex loves the money. So much so that he still lives in the same place he lived 20 years ago, and drives a POS car. Any money he makes goes right into the creation of CoSM. If he is marketable, it's not for inflating his bank account.

Also yeah, a father promoting his daughter?! I've Never! At least she got a new website...that old one made 1997 look good.

In all honesty, I bet he does like the movie, despite Zena assuring us that it would, indeed, blow ;)

P.S.
This album art business seems to be as real as it gets. And you guys are FLOODING the grey and cosm sites. Don't crash it you bastards!
Old 03-23-2006, 10:22 AM   #37
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 52

Yeah, Alex loves the money. So much so that he still lives in the same place he lived 20 years ago, and drives a POS car. Any money he makes goes right into the creation of CoSM. If he is marketable, it's not for inflating his bank account.

Also yeah, a father promoting his daughter?! I've Never! At least she got a new website...that old one made 1997 look good.

In all honesty, I bet he does like the movie, despite Zena assuring us that it would, indeed, blow ;)

P.S.
This album art business seems to be as real as it gets. And you guys are FLOODING the grey and cosm sites. Don't crash it you bastards!
gl0tch's Avatar gl0tch
03-23-2006, 10:25 AM

Well I am inclined to believe Boozy Eulogist, so I take (most) of that back. Just out of curiousity though (and I'm seriously not trying to entrap, I just want to know), how much do you think he made off of the Lateralus Album art?
Old 03-23-2006, 10:25 AM   #38
Level 7 - Loquacious

Well I am inclined to believe Boozy Eulogist, so I take (most) of that back. Just out of curiousity though (and I'm seriously not trying to entrap, I just want to know), how much do you think he made off of the Lateralus Album art?
dracomordag's Avatar dracomordag
03-23-2006, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Yeah, and he called it, "surprisingly hilarious".

uh, No.
would you rather him say "this movie sucks ballnuts, don't support my daughter"?
Old 03-23-2006, 10:28 AM   #39
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Yeah, and he called it, "surprisingly hilarious".

uh, No.
would you rather him say "this movie sucks ballnuts, don't support my daughter"?
03-23-2006, 10:28 AM

LOL, ballnuts.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:28 AM   #40
Level 7 - Loquacious

LOL, ballnuts.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply